SALT Home Support Pack
This pack contains advice and activity ideas to support pupil’s speech, language and communication needs while they are away from school.
All pupils at Orchard Manor School have communication and interaction difficulties with a wide range of needs. As such, not all information in this pack will be relevant for all pupils but there should be enough information to provide support for all. The activities suggested do not require many resources to help keep things easier for you.
The activities suggested are just ideas should you wish to continue targeting speech and language at home. Please don’t worry if you are overwhelmed with other work and responsibilities and cannot complete these activities. As a guide, perhaps try for 30 minutes a week increasing if you are able to do so.
The pack contains:
- Strategies and ideas to support attention and listening difficulties
- Strategies and ideas to support receptive language difficulties
- Strategies and ideas to support expressive language difficulties
- Strategies and ideas to support higher level language skills (such as sequencing, predicting, inferencing)
- Strategies to support those with speech sound difficulties
- Guidance on how to support a pupil who uses Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) aids such as PECS and iPad talkers.
- Places to go for further information and support
- Vocabulary word map templates and examples (separate attachments see below)
- Blank Language Levels handout (separate attachment see below)
- AAC advice handout (separate attachment see below)
If you are not sure which area you should work on, do not have the correct resources or if you have any questions or queries please don’t hesitate to get in contact.
Our email addresses are:
Please click on the links below to open the document and relevant attachments.